I’m talking media CEOs here, nine of them male, all of them smart enough to create a system whereby they get paid mountains of moolah for doing nothing our 11 year old little sister couldn’t do.
Yeah, I said “create.” They’re constantly redefining their jobs and what doing those jobs is worth, and their boards of directors, all of whom are looking forward to media CEO gigs of their own, go along with them unquestioningly.
As for what the jobs are really worth, well, what would you pay people who spend all day promoting themselves in their own media while at the same time making it more and more difficult for those who work for them to do their media type things? You know, by second-guessing and hamstringing the creative souls and taking so much money out of the companies that could have been used for better programming, or, as the CEOs themselves like to put it, “to improve the brand.”
Here’s the list, which TVWriter™ got from TVBizwire, which in turn got it from Deadline.Com:
1. Les Moonves, CBS, $62.2 million
2. Greg Maffai, Liberty Media, $57.2 million
3. David Zaslav, Discovery Communications, $49.9 million
4. Bob Iger, Disney, $40.2 million
5. Marissa Mayer, Yahoo, $36.6 million
6. Philippe Dauman, Viacom, $33.5 million
7. Rupert Murdoch, News Corp., $30.0 million
8. Brian Roberts, Comcast, $29.1 million
9. Michael Rapino, Live Nation, $28.5 million
10. Jeff Bewkes, Time Warner, $25.9 million
Have I said, “Fuck these @!@#s” yet? No? Well then: Fuck ‘em.
And, yeah, I’d feel a whole lot different if I thought anybody on this list really knew what s/he was doing and cared about doing right by viewers.